Friday, May 12, 2006

A Healthy Dose of Bob


I can tell Exams have finally tossed me over the edge and left me for dead when my Netflix queue is filled to bursting with sitcoms from my youth. Since my last Final on Wednesday (Math, don’t ask) I have been simply gorging myself on Season I of The Bob Newhart Show. From the moment I hear the theme song I’m lost in the long ago, feeling cozy and reminiscent and like I should be sitting curled up on the couch in my parents’ blue and brown late seventies family room. Though I couldn’t have told you one thing about the show before the DVD arrived, now it’s like Bob and I never parted, like the last thirty years never happened. The modular shelving and chrome light fixtures in Bob’s high-rise Chicago condo, the olive green, rust, and mustard colored kitchenette, the super long blouses and super short skirts, this is the way the world looked when I was born. I had forgotten it all, but now these things have become as familiar to me again as when I was seven. Nostalgia, just the thing to help me recover from Finals. Next up on the parade of the past, Mary Tyler Moore.

No comments: